W. Michael Montgomery
CPFA, AIF®, CFS™, TGPC, C(k)P®
Designations & Certifications:
- Certified Plan Fiduciary Advisor (CPFA) designation from the National Association of Plan Advisor
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary® (AIF®) designation from the Center for Fiduciary Studies
- Tax-Exempt and Government Plan Consultant (TGPC) designation, awarded by ASPPA, the American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries.
- Certified 401(k) Professional (C(k)P®) professional designation from The Retirement Advisor UniversityTM at UCLA Anderson School of Management.
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designation from The American College.
- Certified Fund SpecialistTM (CFSTM) professional designation from the Institute of Business & Finance
Michael Montgomery serves our clients as a senior consultant and MRPA principal. He has specialized in the retirement plan field since 1977 and is nationally recognized for his thought leadership on retirement plan issues. He founded Montgomery Retirement Plan Advisors in 2004 after achieving success as a pension specialist or regional manager with several leading retirement plan providers. In 2013 he also established a second firm, Fidelis Fiduciary Management, to provide ERISA 3(38) investment fiduciary support to plan sponsors in partnership with non-fiduciary plan consultants and recordkeepers.
Mr. Montgomery is a frequent writer on industry issues and speaker at conferences regarding fiduciary best practices.
- Named to 2019, 2018, 2016 and 2015 Financial Times Top 401 Retirement Plan Advisors list
- Named Founding Lecturer for The Retirement Advisor University™ at UCLA Anderson School of Management
- Named to 100 Most Influential People in Defined Contribution (2010)
- Twice named #1 Defined Contribution Advisor in the U.S. in one of four market segments (2012 & 2010)
- Wrote Article of the Year for fi360 (national fiduciary organization) in 2011
- Florida West Coast Employee Benefits Council
- Past President
- Past Education Chairman
- National Association of Plan Advisors (NAPA)
- Formerly served on Education Committee
- National Tax-Deferred Savings Association (NTSA)
- Retirement Plan Advisory Group (RPAG)